October 25, 2019
The Department of Tourism (DOT) received an award in Japan in recognition for its role in the rehabilitation of Boracay Island.
Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat on Thursday received the Excellent Partner Award in recognition of the role of the DOT in the temporary closure of Boracay Island in 2018 to rehabilitate the island from overtourism.
The Japan Tourism Awards cited the socially advanced initiatives of DOT by taking a high risk of closing and pursuing a cohesive effort to implement the physical, social, environmental and social recovery of the world-renowned resort island.
Puyat said she is elated with the recognition that came on the heels of the World Travel Awards’ hailing of the Philippines Department of Tourism as Asia's Leading Tourism Board.
"We share this award with the DENR ( Department of Environment and Natural Resources) and DILG ( Department of Interior and Local Government). Our combined efforts in the rehabilitation of Boracay is still a work in progress, but already we are seeing the rewards. Recently, Boracay was recognized as Asia’s Top Reader’s Choice Award by Conde Nast Traveler,” she said.
The award-giving body recognized the efforts of tourism organizations around the globe that contribute to development and expansion of the industry also honoring exceptional efforts of groups towards sustainable tourism development.
The awarding took place on the sidelines of the 3rd Tourism Expo Japan (TEJ) Ministerial Round Table in collaboration with the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) where Puyat was invited to be one of the panelists.
The event was attended by ministers of tourism from all over the world, executives from international tourism organizations and governors of prefectures of Japan. Ella Dionisio/DMS
- Japanese artist takes root in the Philippines; explores folk spiritual practices
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep03
- One Pen Project
- Filipinos can now learn Nihonggo and Japanese culture in Magsaysay Human Language Institute
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep02
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine