June 17, 2020
A environmental group Tuesday urged President Rodrigo Duterte to stop a P95 million road construction project at the Guiting-Guiting Natural Park in Sibuyan Island, Romblon.
Rodne Galicha, chairman of the Bayay Sibuyanon Inc., said Duterte should stop to stop the 3.8 kilometer long road project as it would destroy the natural flora and fauna of the natural park.
“Mt. Guiting-Guiting Natural Park or known as #G2 has thick forests which serve as carbon sink and protection against landslides and floods in the entire island,” Galicha said in a statement.
Galicha is afraid the project would affect the watershed, which runs a mini-hydro power plant, the residents' source of renewable energy.
“With this, the small island of Sibuyan has been contributing to climate change mitigation and adaptation and disaster risk reduction,” he said.
He added Guiting-Guiting attracts hikers as well as local and foreign tourists
Galicha said the Department of Public Works and Highways stopped clearing operations for the project in April 2018. But this was included in the 2020 General Appropriations Act. DMS
- Japanese artist takes root in the Philippines; explores folk spiritual practices
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep03
- One Pen Project
- Filipinos can now learn Nihonggo and Japanese culture in Magsaysay Human Language Institute
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep02
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine