September 15, 2020
A soldier was killed while two alleged members of New People's Army (NPA) were arrested following a clash in Leyte on Sunday, a military official said on Tuesday.
Capt. Ryan Balais, public affairs officer of the 8th Infantry Division, said the clash occured in the vicinity of Barangay Rizal, Kananga at 8:30pm.
Balais said government forces rescued two minors who were turned over to the Municipal Social Welfare Development Office (MSWDO).
"The rescue operation was conducted by the troops of 93rd Infantry Battalion after local residents complained about the presence of armed men who were conducting illegal activities with some minors who were evidently forced to join the terrorist group," he said.
Balais said the 10-minute firefight resulted in the death of Pfc Nicxon Tomenio while two alleged rebels were arrested.
He said troops also seized one cal.45 pistol and ammunition reportedly owned by terrorist leader Juanito Selleza, cellphone, electronic gadgets, oral contraceptives, Anakpawis ID cards, ID of a certain Tabang as Sinirangang Bisayas member and various subversive documents.
An AK-47 assault rifle and ammunition were later recovered at 6:30 am of Monday during the pursuit operation, Balais said. Robina Asido/DMS
- Japanese artist takes root in the Philippines; explores folk spiritual practices
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep03
- One Pen Project
- Filipinos can now learn Nihonggo and Japanese culture in Magsaysay Human Language Institute
- Wikang Hapon sa Trabaho: Mag-aral at Matuto ng Practical Japanese Ep02
- UPDATE: On the return of Filipinos from Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China
- 30 Filipino repatriates from n-Cov-hit Wuhan City, Hubei province return home, quarantine